Sunday, April 23, 2017

1953 Siata 208 CS Stabilimenti Farina Spyder

For many years Siata (Società Italiana Applicazioni Trasformazioni Automobilistiche) specialized in aftermarket products for Fiats. The Italian company used their intimate knowledge of Fiat's products to launch the first Siata badged, Fiat based car in 1948. 

The introduction of the Fiat 8V in 1952 sparked the development the first Siata chassis. In 1953, the 208S was introduced, available in both open and closed versions. The new chassis was constructed of tubular members. In stock trim the two litre OHV engine produced just over 100 bhp, and with Siata's hotter camshaft and triple Weber Carburetors, the power could be boosted to 140 bhp.

Although only around sixty chassis were produced in 1953 and 1954, the new Siata received at least half a dozen type indications. The most common of these are the 208 S for the open cars and the 208 CS for the slightly larger coupe bodied machines. The coachbuilder of choice for the coupe body 208 CS was Stabilimenti Farina. That company folded after just six examples were produced and a further nine were constructed along the same lines by Balbo.

The Siata 208 was launched to much critical acclaim late in 1952. The journalists had nothing but praise for the fine handling and good looking Italian thoroughbred. However much everybody liked the little Siata, its high price drove customers away to the much cheaper MGs, Jaguars or Porsches. Like the Fiat 8V, the nimble Siata is still well loved today and good examples are rare to find and very expensive.

1953 Siata 208 CS Stabilimenti Farina Spyder


First shown at the 1953 Brussels Salon, chassis CS058 was one of the very last cars clothed by Stabilimenti Farina. It was one of six cars to receive the very low competition 'Berlinetta' body that was most likely penned by Giovanni Michelotti. In 1955 Siata turned the car into a roadster to lengthen its competition career. For many years the 208 CS Stabilimenti Farina Spyder was on display in Peter Kaus' fabulous Rosso Bianco Museum. In 2006 the collection was sold in its entirety and the car has since been acquired by the current owner. Beautifully restored, it was seen at the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance where it was awarded 'Best in Class' in 'Postwar Sports'. (ultimatecarpage.com)
















  






(Photos from ultimatecarpage.com, conceptcarz.net)



Saturday, April 22, 2017

1980 Saab 96 V4 GL Jubileum Final Edition

The Saab 96 is an automobile manufactured and marketed by Saab from 1960 to January 1980, replacing the 93. The 96 featured aerodynamic two-door bodywork, four passenger seating and at first a two-stroke, three-cylinder engine, later a four-stroke V4. 

The Saab 96 had a longitudinally mounted engine layout. As first designed, it had a 841 cc, 38 hp (28 kW) three-cylinder Saab two-stroke engine. (The two-stroke option was offered until 1968). By 1965 this was increased to 40 hp (30 kW). An optional 57 hp (43 kW) version of the engine, with triple carburetors and oil injection, was used in the Sport and Monte Carlo models. 

In 1967, Saab began marketing the 96 V4, with the Ford Taunus V4 engine, a four-stroke 1498 cc V4 engine. The ordinary V4 engines produced between 1967 and 1976 had 65 hp (48 kW). 

For the Swedish 1976 model year, the car - now known as the 96L - had its power reduced to 62 PS due to new Swedish emission regulations. However, the 1977-1980 GL models had 68 PS (50 kW), due to a two-stage Solex 32TDID carburetor. The V4 96 managed 0–100 km/h in 16 seconds. A total of 547,221 Saab 96s were made. (wikipedia)

1980 Saab 96 GL Jubileum Final Edition


Limited to 300 copies. Metallic Aquamarine Blue, blue/black plush interior, feature a sports steering wheel, front spoiler and special alloy wheels. Built to commemorate the last edition of the Saab 96 and the 25th anniversary of Saab's import to the Netherlands. Each of the 150 units allotted for the Netherlands has a plaque with the edition number attached on the dashboard. Interior is brown.




























































For the 150 units of the "Jubileum" allotted for the Netherlands to commemorate the 25th anniversary 
(1954-1979) of the import of Saab to the Netherlands, there is a plaque on the dashboard with the edition number. Brown plush interior.


(Photos from vellingebilcenter.se, car.info, garaget.org, commons.wikimedia.org)




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...